Azzam and I will be the two lecturers who will be in-charge of fifth year for the next academic session 2018-19. We will have an equal or almost equal number of students and be assisted with a part-time lecturer. Kevin Mark Low is my partner in this respect and we will be having the suburbs rather than the inner-city >>>
The Site-Context Architectural Design Thesis Studio: Pantai Dalam area near highway / Kampung Kerinchi etc
Studio tutors: Naziaty Mohd Yaacob (lead); Kevin Mark Low; others (Faez Jais – teaching assistant)
The development of the ‘site-context’ approach is synonymous with ‘community architecture’, ‘social architecture’, ‘site-driven issues’ project and even ‘real world’ project. To communicate effectively, the use of the term ‘site-context’ best describes the approach undertaken by the studio tutors.
The reasons for the ‘site-context’ approach in design thesis are for:
- The learning experience at the 5th year level. That is to conclude the learning that has been done previously for 4 years to prepare the potential graduate architect for an approach to design that is focused on practice.
- The learning of an approach that is research-oriented design that will help with design with empathy and designing for the people and community. Learning some skills on doing ‘activity mosaics’ and interviews for example.
- The understanding of the social and cultural implications in designing and to bridge the gap between planning and architecture focusing on urban design issues as well as building issues. These encompass development issues.
- The in-depth exploration of the site issues which translates in the complexities of the program and substantial studies on real world design and build prerogatives.
- Special studies include building engineering, systems thinking and universal design.
SITE and BRIEF
The Client are various stakeholders including the MP for Pantai Dalam, Encik Fahmi Fadzil, whose concerns in the ‘real world scenario’ of the development of Pantai Dalam including Kampung Kerinchi and other kampungs (villages). A study on Kampung Kerinchi including the sites which were divided by the NPE highway are to made especially the sites that access the river area. A maximum of two building sites will be identified where students will be developing the sites and brief that will assist the community of Kampung Kerinchi.
Much of the area that we now call Bangsar South, KL Eco City and the area around the river which has been divided by the NPE highway were villages in the 19th century. The founders were the Kerinchi, Minagkabau and Jambi people from Sumatra and the people were affected by squatter clearance and redevelopment of the area. The MP for Pantai Dalam were concerned by the unbalanced development of the area and questions the re-identity of Bangsar South which is purely one sided and speculative development of the developers. The low-cost housing that plies much of the area around the Klang river lack some community facilities and infrastructure and the barrier was created with the new highway.
The design thesis year consists of:
- Special Semester – Pre Thesis Research (8 weeks) (3 credits)
- Design Project Brief
- Semester 1 – Architecture Design Thesis I (14 weeks) (8 credits)
- Development of Scheme
- Semester 2 – Architecture Design Thesis II (14 weeks) (8 credits)
- Detail Design and Special Studies
Pre Thesis Research occurs during the special semester, where the student concentrates on completing a design project brief. The exercise includes identifying issues and problems based on research investigation on the design thesis topic, finding site, basic site analysis, developing and confirming the design project brief. For Architecture Design Thesis I, the students will develop the design project brief that was done in the special semester and do further site analysis and develop the design concept up to the design development stage. The final stage in semester two for Architecture Design Thesis II, the students continue with the development of the scheme but in a greater depth and detail. The detailed design stage concentrates on developing in detail the special aspects of the design project, integrating structure and services and do specific special studies.